Sunday, January 15, 2012

Soup and Bonus


Happy winter!!!

Well, we're finally seeing some snow here in the Emerald City and as a tribute, I've decided to make something from another part of the world that falls to pieces when they are coated with but an inch of "the white stuff".

We weasled this recipe out of Walter, the insane Italian who ran the shishi restaurant I worked at after college. He was truly a piece of work. He would rush through the restaurant, gesticulating wildly and ordering people to bring "VIP" glasses and dishes when anyone "VIP" came in. He would say to these "VIP"s things like (go for your most stereotypical Italian accents here), "Oh, you are my brother! We have fresh figs for you my brother! And special fish - no no! For this you do not have parmesan cheese, it is fish!! Kate! We need 14 new place settings for these people, they are the best people! Hurry!"

Needless to say, I did not last long in that environment. Fortunately, my father, though not quite a "VIP", enjoyed a certain level of respect from Walter, so we snagged this recipe and haven't stopped making it since. He may have been nuts, but he made really excellent food.

Warning: the copy of this recipe I have was written by my mother, so the measurements are, shall we say, rough. That's ok. It's a rustic soup, enjoyed by rustic people, so just guesstimate your little hearts out.

Tuscan Bean Soup
2 small cottage cheese containers dried cannellini beans (aka white kidney beans)
2 HEADS garlic*
1 1/2 onions
1 teacup (?) olive oil
Bunch of sage
Bunch of rosemary

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, discard the water. Add garlic, one whole onion, sage, and beans to fresh water. Cover with olive oil. Cook 4 hours on medium heat until soft. Take out onion and sage (should still be whole-ish...These can actually be blended to make a nice spread, rather than just chucking them.)
Mash beans by hand or in blender. Return to broth. Sautee some more onion with rosemary in oil. Add to the soup.
When serving, add a drizzle of truffle oil. Or not.

* BONUS: two whole heads of garlic are a pain in the ass. Luckily, I found out about this. It really works!!! Proof:

Before..... ...After












Amazing!

Enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Holy F. I am so excited to try out your garlic trick kate (SOUND BITE OF EXCITED LAUGHTER). This recipe is on my cooklist for the week. As I have said time and time again (I love that phrase), you are wonderful Kate Elias. I will post my lauding review...

    efisher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, hot damn. It really works kate, it really does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, a year later, I am finally making this soup. The neighbors are coming over for an evening of soup and games. Games and soup, soup and games. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate any white kidney beans in town, I settled for the only white colored bean in the isle - water chestnuts. Just kidding. Water chestnuts aren't beans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Isle of Winthrop. You all know where that is, don't you? hah.

    ReplyDelete